Saturday, March 10, 2018

New Zealand Memories

Yesterday I popped into the de Young Museum to check out the exhibit of Gottfried Lindauer’s Maori Portraits.  As always, it’s the under-hyped shows like this one that tend be best at the de Young.  It’s up until April 1st and worth seeing.  They are running a brief film, as I wandered into the screening room the first thing I saw was Hokianga Harbour.  It is one of my favorite places on the planet.  I have been a few times in the winter.  I stayed in a swell motel where I was able to watch the water, the clouds and intermittent rain sweep in all day off the Tasman.  I can’t believe it has been over 20 years. 

And then there was something new from New Zealand waiting for me in my P.O. Box.  The latest in a series of incredible mail art from Robin Sparrow.  This postcard arrived safely in a cellophane envelope protecting the hand-embroidered San Francisco scene on the back.  I love it, including the Year of the Dog postage stamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment