There are many positive and appropriate ways to respond to the horrible state of the world. And in no way do I want to be either dismissive or ignore what is happening. But, just to maintain my own personal sanity and not be overwhelmed by anger, sometimes I need to paint something calm and quiet like the old barn at Año Nuevo State Park.
Friday, August 18, 2017
Monday, August 14, 2017
Last week’s trip to the post office included the purchase of some of the newest stamps from the U.S. Postal Service. The new set of Sharks are inspirational. Today’s mail art on the way is a series of Shark Mail postcards — each has hand painted fin cruising above the surf.
Sunday, August 13, 2017
Well not for me, but it seemed that way for the elephant seals lying around on the beach at Año Nuevo State Park down near Santa Cruz. Big rocks, or lumpy, molting elephant seals, here is where the fauna is the landscape. These two paintings (12”x9” each) were inspired by last week’s visit and hike.
Tuesday, August 8, 2017
I have been altering old postcards for art projects for a long time. They have been used in everything from large-scale works to mail art. This latest series is relatively simple, yet the effects are somewhat complex. I start by painting paper, and then using some punches to cut out circles of color. I then apply a set of the circles or dots to a vintage postcard — just a simple constellation of colored circles are all it takes to alter the image.
In this latest series of mail art, each recipient also receives a small set of colored circles with instructions to apply them to an old postcard and return the new, altered postcard to me. If you do not receive one of these, feel free to make your own altered postcard and send one to me.
Thursday, August 3, 2017
Tuesday, August 1, 2017
This past month mail art was going out and coming in, including some great ATCs and some little, handmade books. The incoming mail includes:
- A new set of ATCs from Fleur Helsingor
- Layered vintage from Jennifer Utter
- Two handmade, 3D ATCs from Amy Irwen
- Jennie Hinchliff is recycling every part of the book.
- I showed Barbara Stasiowski this vintage postcard I have where the person in the picture holds a book you can open up. This is what she sent back to me. Love it.
- Pamela Gerard is repurposing old postcards and photos.
- e. coles sends a new treasure.
- Monica Lee is making handmade books with postage stamp portraits.